2019 NFL Mock Draft
2019 NFL MOCK DRAFT
1. ARIZONA - Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma ... Play it again, Sam, as for a second consecutive year a Heisman Trophy-winning slinger from the Oklahoma Sooners goes first in the NFL Draft and, yes, the Cardinals will reject any/all offers for this pick coming their way via Oakland/Las Vegas.
2. SAN FRANCISCO - Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State ... True, this cat-quick pass rusher played only 10 games in college but he's been the apple of 49ers president John Lynch's eye for a long time now and first order of business will be for Bosa to track down Murray two games a year for the next several seasons.
3. DETROIT (projected trade with the New York Jets) - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama ... There's a 90 percent chance that the J-E-T-S will be trading out of this third spot and this works out well for gang green as the AFC East squad will land the #8 overall pick plus get picks #43 (a second-rounder) and #111 ( fourth-rounder) while Lions get the D-lineman they have coveted for a while. Can you see Lions' coach Matt Patricia smiling under that bushy beard?
4. OAKLAND - Josh Allen, Edge, Kentucky ... All this smoke-and-mirror stuff surrounding the Raiders as making a "secret pick" here but gut feeling is the silver-and-black want to (desperately) replace Khalil Mack and so they go best pass rusher available. 'Nuff said.
5. GREEN BAY (projected trade with Tampa Bay) - Devin White, LB, LSU ... The Packers have picks #12 and #30 here in Round I but they'll deal off the better one to the Bucs (and toss in picks #44 and #75) to get this classy three-down 'backer with speed to burn.
6. NEW YORK GIANTS - Brian Burns, Edge, Florida State ... The more and more folks speculate about the Giants' two picks here in Round I, the more you hear the sentiment they'll take a QB to be the heir to Eli Manning. Not buyin' it as FM Dave Gettleman wants defense in this draft.
7. JACKSONVILLE - Jawaan Taylor, OL, Florida ... Since Day One we've been hearing how this 6-foot-5, 315-pounder was destined to stay in state with the Jaguars and only in the past few days are different players popping up in this spot. Don't believe it, the Jags need a retooled O-line and in a hurry.
8. NEW YORK JETS (via projected trade with Detroit) - Ed Oliver, DL, Houston ... Told y'all earlier this week that this rather controversial player would go anywhere between pick #3 and #13 and so he goes right smack in the middle of that group. The Jets knew they would get quality defender here and so pile up the extra picks to boot.
9. OAKLAND (projected trade with Buffalo) - D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss ... The Raiders are always full of first-round surprises (and especially when they come into the draft with three Round I picks!) and so here they deal off pick #24 and one or two premier picks next year to land a guy many consider a borderline top 20 pick.
10. DENVER - Andre Dillard, OT, Washington State ... Sorry, not buying the smack that Broncos will tab a "quarterback of the future" here and insiders believe offseason acquisition Joe Flacco will be the answer for the next 3-to-5 years. This 320-pounder is a brilliant pick because the Broncos need some OL heft.
11. CINCINNATI - Devin Bush, LB, Michigan ... Call this a "safe pick" by the rebuilding Bengals who decide to hold tight here instead of swapping 1's with #15 Washington. Hey, Cincy might be tempted to go quarterback here but not wowed by any of 'em (and neither are we as you'll see!).
12. TAMPA BAY (projected trade with Green Bay) - Montez Sweat, Edge, Miss State ... Bucs were willing to move down and get best available pass rusher and thrilled this dude was still on the big board. Now, if only Tampa Bay could do something about that schedule (no home games for 49 straight days after Week 3).
13. ARIZONA (projected trade with Miami) - Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama ... Get a load of this bombshell swap: The Cardinals trade last year's rookie QB Josh Rosen to South Florida and throw in a 2020 draft pick while getting a second first-round pick here and this 'Bama stud will star as an OG or OT right away.
14. ATLANTA - Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson ... National championship player fills a major need for the Falcons who need help all along D-front. There's talk this NFC South club is trying to trade into the top five but no dice.
15. WASHINGTON - Dwayne Haskins, QB Ohio State ... The 'Skins were keeping fingers crossed that they'd have the pick of the litter when it comes to the quarterbacks and "draft gods" made it happen and so DC crew goes Haskins over Mizzou's Drew Lock.
16. CAROLINA - A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss ... Isn't it high time the Panthers gave QB Cam Newton someone to target on medium-to-deep balls? Carolina needs D-line / edge help badly but opt for Rebels' star who caught 2,500+ yards in passes the past two years.
17. NEW YORK GIANTS - Clelin Ferrell, Edge, Clemson ... This 265-pounder has a major motor and aforementioned Giants' GM Gettleman wants as many great D-linemen as possible. Sorry, Giants' fans, no quarterback getting grabbed here.
18. MINNESOTA - T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa ... True, the Vikings have TE Kyle Rudolph on board but can't pass up this Big 10 star who many draft boards have as a top 10 prospect. One more weapon for excuse-making QB Kirk Cousins.
19. BALTIMORE (projected trade with Tennessee) - Noah Fant, TE, Iowa ... Okay, so we project the two Hawkeyes' tight ends going back-to-back here as the Ravens move up from #22 and snag this top-flight pass-catcher who'll "bail out" QB Lamar Jackson plenty when kid has to chuck it on the run.
20. PITTSBURGH - Greedy Williams, CB, LSU ... No doubt the Steelers need to replace the firepower of WR Antonio Brown and RB Le'Veon Bell but truth is Steel gang needs to upgrade its secondary especially now that WR Odell Beckham (Cleveland) is in its division.
21. SEATTLE - Dexter Lawrence, DL, Clemson ... The Seahawks get a pair of Round I picks now that they shipped off DE Frank Clark to Kansas City (also pick #29) and so immediately "replace" him with veteran 345-pounder who has rehabbed image after missing last year's title tilt.
22. TENNESSEE (projected trade with Baltimore) - Juan Thornhill, S, Virginia ... Titans consider this former Cavs star to be top 10 material when it comes to overall athleticism and so they deal down, secure an extra pick and have a guy that can shadow the slot or wide outs here.
23. HOUSTON - Cody Ford, OL, Oklahoma ... If the Texans don't beef up their blocking wall here than someone's out to lunch! Ford is 6-foot-4, 330 pounds and could be QB DeShaun Watson's "best bud" for years to come.
24. BUFFALO (projected trade with Oakland) -- Chase Winovich, Edge, Michigan ... The Bills moved out of the top 10 where either Sweat or Burns was available but happy to pluck wild-haired pass rusher who gives this "D" some personality.
25. PHILADELPHIA - Byron Murphy, CB, Washington ... Most draft boards believe the Eagles opt for secondary help here and this pick makes complete sense though there's some folks wanting a backup quarterback to the oft-injured QB Carson Wentz.
26. INDIANAPOLIS - Jerry Tillery, DL, Notre Dame ... Gotta say we've had this 6-foot-6, 300-pound behemoth pegged for this pick for a long time and makes total sense as the Colts need someone to collapse enemy pockets and he's your man!
27. OAKLAND - Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple - Keep in mind this is the Raiders' third pick in Round I after we say they nab edge rusher Allen and wide-out Metcalf from the SEC but here they bone up the secondary with this physical hitter.
28. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS - Chris Lindstrom, OL, Boston College ... The Bolts actually are looking for help on both lines but have this 6-foot-4, 310-pounder rated a tad higher than any D-linemen left.
29. SEATTLE (completed trade with Kansas City) - Garrett Bradbury, OL, N.C. State ... Maybe this seems high for an interior blocker but most draft boards have 'em as a top 20 selection, so there's value here.
30. GREEN BAY - Erik McCoy, OL, Texas A&M ... The Packers would love to grab another linebacker to go with our projection of LB White (LSU) in the top five but they didn't rate anyone else first-round quality, so gobble up guy who has first-round pedigree.
31. LOS ANGELES RAMS - Dalton Risner, OL, Kansas State ... Better run blocker and so that's music to ears of RB Todd Gurley as Super Bowl losers need to repair a blocking wall that showed leaks last year.
32. NEW YORK GIANTS (projected trade with New England) - Nasir Adderley, S, Delaware ... Told y'all the G-men wanted to get defense shored up and so they deal away second-round pick (#37 overall) plus a second- or third-rounder next year to get their hands on this Senior Bowl week star. That's three defensive players to the NY Giants in this opening round.
Okay, so if you tally 'em up we have 14 offensive players and 18 defensive players going in Round I; we have only one quarterback (over/under price for QBs is 3.5) and we have 29 players getting selected from so-called power conference teams (including a single pick from Notre Dame).