The College Football Top 25
So, is it a blessing or a curse to be named the #1 team in the season-opening Associated Press Top 25 poll?
Well, recent history tells us that since the 1999 season, only two teams that started the year off at #1 finished as national champions - see the 1999 Florida State Seminoles and the 2004 USC Trojans ... okay, so there's your "blessing" or "curse" answer, eh?
No shocker that the defending national champion Alabama Crimson Tide sits atop the heap to begin matters this year with last year's title runner-up - the Clemson Tigers - right there at #2 with Oklahoma (a playoff participant a year ago) there at #3.
Hey, we don't mean to "go negative" but let's just say there are flaws with each/every team in this AP Top 25 and our one-liners here in today's column will get across the point that nobody's perfect (and maybe nobody, indeed, will be perfect at year's end even though somebody's gonna wear the crown)!.
Here's the AP Top 25 (with first place votes in parentheses) and pertinent comments:
1. ALABAMA (33) - One of these days the quarterback situation isn't gonna work out just right for Nick Saban's crew.
2. CLEMSON (16) - Everything went just right for last year's team and it still didn't cop the national title.
3. OKLAHOMA (4) - When push comes to shove, this Sooners' defense comes up short
4. FLORIDA STATE (5) - Let's just say RB Dalvin Cook needs a 2,000-yard season just to get the 'Noles into the playoffs.
5. LSU (1) - Heat's on head coach Les Miles but when can you trust 'em at crunch time? Never
6. OHIO STATE (1) - Maybe the Buckeyes will wish they had QB depth this year.
7. MICHIGAN (1) - At least one or two of the road games at Michigan State, Iowa and Ohio State will seal the Wolves' fate
8. STANFORD - Don't you just know teams will be salivating to stop Heisman hopeful RB Christian McCaffrey.
9. TENNESSEE - Folks, if we hear one more "expert" claim the Vols are the "team to beat" in the SEC East, we're gonna gag on our corn dog!
10. NOTRE DAME - Need we say anything after the weekend the Irish just had off the field. Bad boys, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?
11. OLE MISS - Something tells us QB Chad Kelly is gonna get his lunch eaten a few times this year
12. MICHIGAN STATE - Might be the weakest Sparty edition in years, really.
13. TCU - The post-QB Trevone Boykin Era won't be pretty
14. WASHINGTON - Might be the Pac-12 toughest sked and Huskies could actually lose all five of its road games.
15. HOUSTON - Everyone was giddy after winning the Peach Bowl but Oklahoma might dunk the Coogs' title hopes right out of the starting gate
16. UCLA - Count on the Bruins' kicking game being a major deficiency in '16.
17. IOWA - Last year's magical season goes pooof this time around
18. GEORGIA - The Kirby Smart Era will have plenty of bumps in Year One.
19. LOUISVILLE - Hope the Cards stick with one quarterback (see Lamar Jackson) after that silly revolving door a year ago
20. USC - The Troy Boys could use less drama this time around and better tackling (allowed 25.7 ppg last year).
21. OKLAHOMA STATE - Solid team, solid coach but when is Okie State ever really a national title contender
22. NORTH CAROLINA - Heels could have losing season if they don't handle those early away games.
23. BAYLOR - Major mess for new coach/good guy Jim Grobe. Good luck
24. OREGON - The Ducks surrendered nearly 38 ppg last year and new DC Brady Hoke ain't no Einstein.
25. FLORIDA - Can we see some offensive imagination this year?